Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spool Bed





Oh the history in this piece. It is the bed that my Dad slept in as a child ~ in the farmhouse where he was born and raised. I got this bed back in the late 70’s – my grandmother was fading fast ~ Alzheimer’s disease taking away her wonderful stories and everything that made Grammy, well Grammy. Although the farm was kept in the family, my grandparents took an apartment the most of the furnishings, well the antiques anyway were divided up or sold at auction. So Dad scooped up his childhood bed and it became my new bed. Being a teenage girl who always dreamed of having the white bedroom set from the Sears catalog, decided that this bed that was painted a mustard yellow color would look much better with a coat of white paint. So with Dad’s help – we painted over the yellow and it became my dream bed.

Flash forward 15 years and I am in my own apartment. I had stripped down an old farm chair and could not even entertain the thought and elbow grease that would be required to strip this bed. I was lucky enough to have a co-worker who *loved* doing things like this when she was off. I trucked the pieces over to her and she stripped it down for a price. Oh well ~ I was the one that slapped the white on it….right! Because the white which went over the yellow, which was over the green and so one and so on…. You get the picture.

Once it was stripped we stained it ~ but I was never in love with the color…. So about a month ago, I decided to dig this bed back out as it has been in storage and give it a little face lift. I am back in love with my bed, even though it is not white. This past week-end I put some finishing wax on it and brought it in and set it up. I love how you can still see a hint of the yellow.....



I also found these ones, which I love ~



can be found here and



can be found here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely to see photos of the bed Lori....it looks wonderful. I had no idea it had belonged to your Dad. how lovely. Glad you got it finished :)

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

How cool that the bed has so much history in your family. I love that kind of furniture!