Monday, December 14, 2009

Ornament Love

I have always loved ornaments
as I pull each one out of the box
it sparks a memory
of days gone by

We decorated our tree last night...

but on Friday night
I went over to Mom's
with an ulterior motive

I helped put up her tree
and then we decorated it together
as it has been many years
since I have done this with her...

when we opened the box
I was in vintage heaven

I knew that Mom had some old ornaments
but I did not remember how many


these are the ones that I was thinking of...

they are teeny tiny

Mom loves teardrops
and she has old ones

and new ones too.

~*~*~

I left with 2 boxes of keepsakes
and they mean so much to me
because not only did they belong to my parents
but my grandparents too
some from each side of the family...

I remember these ones
from way back
she let me take one of each

the little orange one
belonged to my grandmother
it is tiny
and is covered with satin threads

I scattered them around the dining room
on plates

and in pitchers


plus I added more to my big hurricane vase
so it went from looking like this...

to this...
much better
don't you think?

Have a wonderful week!
xo

11 comments:

Cathi said...

Just beautiful, Lori! I also have some vintage ornaments and they are very special to me too! I finally got my tree up this weekend too! :) Have a great evening, my friend! xxoo

stefanie said...

Oh, I love vintage ornaments, but yours are the best, they come with memories

Chez Zizi said...

Lori, they look so wonderful. I love the transformation of the hurricane vase. Those colors are also just beautiful. Good job, lucky girl.

Zizette

Blondie's Journal said...

Lori~~

How lucky you are to now have the vintage ornaments you grew up with. I am always filled with love and wonder when I look at my parent's tree. All those memories...and they look lovely in your hurricane!

Beautiful post!

xoxo
Jane

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Lori,
How lovely that you decorated the tree with your mum, and that she gave you some of her vintage ornaments. What I love too is the fact that it looks as if she still has the original boxes.
You and I are living parallel lives !! I have just filled my glass hurricane lamp with silver baubles !
I can see that you are thoroughly enjoying your build up to Christmas.
Have great week Lori. XXXX

Martha said...

Oh yes...I do love the vintage ornaments fuller in the hurricane...what a weekend to treasure for you all! So wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh these are absolutely beautiful Lori....I too love ornaments with a history and how lovely to have things that belonged to your grandparents.

My collection really only began when we got married but I add something each year :) xo

Delena said...

I love vintage ornaments too. My ornaments bring me back memories also. I miss decorating since we are not in our own home at Christmas.

Deb said...

Beautiful collection of vintage ornaments ~ and even more special as they hold such sweet memories! Love the teardrops & tiny acorns ♥

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh Lori so neat to see your ornaments. I grew up with many of the exact same ones...memory lane:)

mimi charmante said...

Absolutely fabulous! I adore vintage ornaments and you have done a wonderful job showcasing them.
Bravo!
xx