Monday, October 14, 2013

Thankful


Today is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada
and I don't think I have seen a nicer weekend....ever



there have been years where the sun has been shining but bitter cold

then years where it has been raining and down right miserable ~ hard to feel thankful
when the wind is howling and the rain is pelting off the windows
maybe thankful you can be inside on a day like that!

but this year was gorgeous ~ all 3 days
that my friends is almost unheard of



Saturday was spent getting things done
as Sunday we headed to the camp for turkey dinner and family time

My mother in law called me before hand and said
make sure you bring your camera ~ the big maple is beautiful

and she was beautiful ~ the leaves were so pretty 
some of them yellow, orange and red in 1 big ole maple leaf
it was hard to even capture it in a photo



today we picked up my nieces Kat and Sam
and went to Mom's for a ham dinner
the girls got into their old room and sorted through old toys
donating some ~ throwing some things away ~ and making a keepsake box for others

they also took some things home to their little sister
things she can enjoy now that they are teens and Littlest Pet Shop is not
on their things to do list any more!

It was great to see the girls and I know that Mom enjoyed the time with them as well




I made home made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting to take today
and it was so good ~ moist and just yummy
you can find the recipe here


I know that I am fortunate to have friends and family so close
sitting around full tables with a bounty of food before us 2 nights in a row
and having other options if we did not spend the weekend with family

so thanksgiving to me is not just an additional day off
although that part is nice
it is being able to gather together those that mean the most to you
share a meal ~ some stories ~ and make new memories



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The trees in your neck of the woods are stunning, and your photos are gorgeous. We had dinner at our daughter's home yesterday - a wonderful day I'm so thankful for!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your blog is such a joy! I so enjoyed your pictures and hearing what a wonderful holiday you had. I have to check out that recipe!

Much love,

XO,
Jane

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

What wonderful photographs Lori .... the colours are beautiful. Our trees are just beginning to turn so, we are not quite at that ' spectacular ' point just yet. It really is such a beautiful time of year isn't it ? We were all out at the weekend, kicking leaves with our grandson.
It sounds as if you have a lovely time with your family and some very good food as well !! XXXX

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I was thinking of you as I knew it was Canadian Thanksgiving. Beautiful thankful post, Lori.

Fondly,
Glenda

Cathi said...

What beautiful photos - such glorious colors everywhere! I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving - I was thinking about you on Monday! That carrot cake looks absolutely scrumptious! Yum! Cheers to a fabulous weekend coming up! xxoo